Traffic restrictions from tomorrow on Carnarvon Bridge
Posted: January 14, 2011
As a temporary measure, one lane of traffic on Carnarvon Bridge will be closed from early morning Saturday 15 January 2011 until further notice at the request of Main Roads.
Southern Downs Deputy Director Engineering Services, Chris Loveday, said the restrictions will create a pedestrian lane over the bridge to reduce risks.
“The low level pedestrian bridges across Quart Pot Creek at Stanthorpe have been damaged by floodwaters, which has made it difficult for pedestrians to get from the CBD across the Creek,” Mr Loveday said.
“As a result, we have seen pedestrians recklessly crossing the Carnarvon Bridge via the roadway and dodging traffic,” Mr Loveday said.
“Others have taken their life in their hands by using the old pedestrian walkway on Carnarvon Bridge which has previously been declared unsafe by Main Roads engineers and closed,” he said.
“Pedestrians are strongly advised not to cross the bridge by either of these means as they are unsafe and illegal.”
As a temporary measure, to provide for pedestrian access to occur safely, from tomorrow morning the north bound traffic lane will be closed to traffic to permit its use by pedestrians.
The south bound lane will be open for use by traffic.
Repairs will be undertaken on the low level pedestrian bridges as soon as the level of Quart Pot Creek reduces to enable this to occur, Mr Loveday said.
Corporate Communications Officer,
(07) 4661 0305