National Recycling Week
As a part of National Recycling Week 2012, Southern Downs Regional Council is offering some fun and educational events to local community.
PUBLIC PLACE DISPLAY
Did you know…
• You can recycle aerosol cans?
• Plastic bags cannot be recycled and are not accepted in your yellow-lidded recycling bin?
• Australians use 3.9 billion plastic bags every year and dump over 7,000 plastic bags into landfill every minute?
If you have some unanswered questions of your own, Southern Downs Regional Council is offering you the perfect opportunity to find out. Council is holding a waste and recycling themed public place display for community to come along and have their questions answered.
The public place display will be held on:
Thursday 15th November from 10:00am – 12:15pm
56 Lock Street
Did you know…
• About 50% of the domestic waste disposed to landfill by the average Australian family each week is actually garden waste and food scraps that could be composted?
• Compost worms can eat up to half their body weight every day?
• As well as composting fruit and vegetable scraps, you can also compost teabags, coffee grounds, egg shells, paper, hair and even vacuum cleaner dust?
• Compost worms can double their population every 2-3 months?
Want to learn more?
Southern Downs Regional Council is holding two FREE community workshops. The workshop will focus on composting and worm farming (including a worm farm set-up demonstration). Information about the importance and benefits of recycling correctly and tips on other waste minimisation techniques will also be covered in the workshops.
The workshops will be held on:
Wednesday 14th November from 2:00pm – 4:00pm
Stanthorpe Civic Centre
Cnr. Marsh and Lock Street
Thursday 15th November from 6:00pm – 8:00pm
Jackie Howe Motel
Cnr. Palmerin and Victoria Street
Light refreshments will be provided and there will also be a compost bin or worm farm giveaway to one lucky participant.
Registrations for the workshop are essential as numbers are limited.
To book for either of the workshops, please contact Erin Searle: (07) 3457 2400 or email: SDRCWasteEd@envirocom.com.au
Community Workshop poster
Southern Downs Regional Council is holding its first ever Swap Party!
A Swap Party is an event where participants bring good quality items they no longer want and swap them for other items (turn trash into treasure).
Bring along any three of the following good quality items to swap: Toys/games, books, CDs/DVDs or bric-a-brac.
Also, bring any old mobile phones, printer/fax cartridges and eye glasses for the additional recycling collection.
The Swap Party will be held on:
Friday 16th of November from 12:00pm – 1:30pm
Warwick Art Gallery outside area,
Cnr. Albion Street & Fitzroy Street,
There will also be a sausage sizzle, coffee van and recycling displays available on the day.
Invite a friend to join in the FUN and SWAP till you drop!
Rules of the swap:
• Swappers must register to participate between 12.00pm and 12.30pm to receive their swap tokens.
• The Swap Party will commence at 12.30pm.
• Maximum of three items to swap per person, one item per token.
• Items must be good quality and easily carried in by hand.
• No electrical items will be swapped for safety reasons.
• Once items are registered to be swapped they become the property of Southern Downs Regional Council.
• Southern Downs Regional Council takes no responsibility for items swapped.
• Any items remaining at the close of the Swap Party will be donated to the Endeavour Foundation.
For more information on the Swap Party, please contact Erin Searle on: (07) 3457 2400 or email: SDRCWasteEd@envirocom.com.au